Friday, July 02, 2010

Venture-Backed I.P.O.s Show Rebound as M&A Slips

From NYT DealBook, July 2, 2010:
Venture-backed initial public offerings are the highest since before the financial crisis, even as venture-backed M&A activity is slipping, according to a survey by Thomson Reuters and the National Venture Capital Association.
I.P.O.s have always been a key exit strategy for venture capital funds, a path that was essentially closed off by the moribund stock market in much of 2008 and early 2009, Reuters reported.
The number of venture-backed I.P.O.s in the second quarter is the highest it has been since the fourth quarter of 2007, according to the survey. There were 17 venture-backed I.P.O.s worth $1.3 billion in the second quarter, which was the third consecutive quarterly increase in volume and the second in dollar amount.
Electric carmaker Tesla Motors, which raised $226 million, was the largest deal of the quarter and rose more than 40 percent in its debut.
But there are still signs of uncertainty. Only five of the 17 I.P.O.s in the second quarter were trading at or above their I.P.O. prices at the close of markets on Wednesday and the deal flow is still far below historic highs. There were 86 venture- backed I.P.O.s worth $10.33 billion in the fourth quarter of 2007, the most recent peak in the venture-backed I.P.O. market.
Go to Article from Reuters »

No comments: